Monday, October 27, 2008

Coin Toss – Hawks and Tractors on the field

Writing an introduction, in my opinion, is the hardest task of any type of written work. So I’m glad it’s done (see the Pre-Game). Before I dive into my specific teams and the reasoning, or lack thereof, for the blog title and the teams I follow, just a bit of background is in order.

Throughout this blog you will often find me switching between sports on both side of the Atlantic, and for example, examining the ins and outs of two very different types of football. In addition, you may notice frequent transitions between English and American-English commentaries. Raised in England since birth but moving to the US in 1990 is the simple explanation. I’m fanatic about football, and whether you crave the NFL or the EPL, you’re going to find something here for you. After 18 years in the US utilizing both an English and American style of conversation is inevitable, and it most definitely will show throughout my articles. If you get confused have another beer, and read on anyway. Keep in mind not all this stuff is confined to football. We’ll cover just about anything and everything in the sporting world.

So, Blue Hawks and Tractors? Simple, it relates to the Seattle Seahawks and Ipswich Town Football Club. Quite a unique combination and we’ll cover the history at some point, but in short I have followed the Town my entire life; the ‘Hawks my entire US sporting life. Now we need to throw in England as well, but I thought that “Blue Hawks, Three Lions, and a Tractor” might be getting just a little wordy…then again, it’s kinda got a ring to it, and they have all won crap in recent history. That’s not quite true, the ‘Hawks have 4 consecutive division titles, which is about to end, but in terms of championships, I come up with the goose egg, nil, zilch…or FA in some circles.

Now, with the teams identified, the title explained, and the commentary style accounted for, we can get going. Do not think that this blog will focus only on the 3 aforementioned teams. Yes, they are my passion in the sporting world, but there is a ton of material to cover and I’ll be discussing many teams from across many sports and making many observations about our sporting universe. I will throw in some status and updates on my teams, if for nothing else, so you can share or relate to my rollercoaster ride of near-glory and frequent misery.

Cheers!!

No comments: